VibeStreamer: Remotely stream your music library
There’s many different solutions out there that give you the ability to access and share your collection of music over the net. Many of them of work, sort of. It really depends on how you want to present your music to the user and how much functionality you’re willing to give access to. In this case, I’ve found a fairly self-contained music streaming server that gives you access to your music through web based flash player, with a login system to boot.
VibeStreamer is a simple, easy-to-use, and slick application that gets the job done with very little fuss.
Here’s the features in the current version:
- Free music streaming server.
- Easy installation and configuration.
- Share unlimited files and directories.
- Full support for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7.
- Full support for Linux through Wine
- Protect your directories with user accounts and groups.
- Easily manage your users, groups and their access rights.
- High performance and well designed web client that supports large collections.
- SSL support for secure traffic
- Last.fm audio scrobbling integration
- UPnP support for simple router configuration
- Unlimited skin possibilities, create your own or download new skins as they appear on our website.
- The included standard skin support most commonly used browsers.
- A script language that is fully integrated with the server.
- Guaranteed free from backdoors, spyware, adware and other non-requested software.
I’ve kept my server running for nearly three months and it hasn’t crashed or given me any problems at all. The newest version seems to have many more features than the current one I’m running, so I will probably upgrade soon.
Go ahead and try it out here.
For those of you behind routers, you will need to specify and open a port through your router’s web interface in order to listen to your music away from home or share with your friends. Instructions can be found at PortForward.com, you will need to know your router’s model number, or if you need to know your external IP address, you can find it here. For a host-redirect, register for one at No-Ip.com.
If you still need help, questions and comments are welcomed below.